COURSE NAME: Around the World Food Tour
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
There are many simple dishes that are native to various regions across the world. For varying cultures, food, eating times, and styles are expressed differently and carry different meanings. Culture also impacts ingredients used while cooking, which creates a unique experience for the chef and the consumer. This course teaches students respect for different cultures, as well as, how to prepare some very delicious dishes!
How does culture impact food choice?
2.1 N Identify internal and external influences that affect food choice
- Basic Kitchen Safety
- Sanitary Cooking Procedures
- Food Presentation Techniques
- Kitchen Math (measurement, fractions)
- Kitchen Science (physical changes)
- Reading Comprehension (procedural text)
- Social Studies (Cultural Awareness)
Each course includes the 5 core facts: nutrition/food fact, culinary arts vocabulary, kitchen/safety fact, manner/etiquette fact, and life lesson skill fact.
- Introduction to Rainbow Chefs
- Before we start...
- Handwashing mini
- Rainbow Chefs Hand Washing
- Handwashing Handout and Quiz
- Kitchen Safety
- Tomato Basil Spinach Pasta
- Brushetta with Mozarella, Prosciutto and Arugula Pesto
- Culinary Insights to Italy